Friday, April 13, 2012

Passions

I have a passion for music. Well, I have a passion for a lot of things. My first passion in life was reading, and a passion I carry still. And as previously mentioned, I have a passion for yarn, and buttons, knitting and crochet, scrapbooking, anything creative really. And WOOL! I have a passion for wool. I have a dream about having a couple of my own sheep and some alpacas. So that I can harvest their wool and make yarn the old fashioned way and dye them with natural dyes from nature.... But I'm getting off topic.

Music. I love it. I always have but it really blossomed when I got my first flute in my hands at the age of 12. There was no looking back then. I liked it enough to get a music degree and now teach flute to some very lovely students (to whom I get very attached).

I love all types of music and feel I can appreciate all genres for the passion and skill it takes to master them. Even the dreaded opera which non-music people seem to shy away from.  But my taste in music is definitely not high-brow by any means. I love film music. Yepp. Actually, when watching a new movie or television series I can often guess the composer. Like the great John Williams. The man composed the music to Star Wars, ET, Superman, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park, etc.... so how can you not love him? I recently watched "War Horse" and was absolutely enchanted by the music. John Williams, of course. There are tons of other film composers that I enjoy too but I'll save you the long list. A favourite though is Howard Shore's music for Lord of the Rings.


I also LOVE impressionist music. So I'm a huge fan of Debussy. But I like me some Bach too. Bach is great for relaxation and I often turn to Bach when I'm stressed. I'm a big fan of Aaron Copland, THE American composer. LOVE Copland. "Fanfare for the Common Man". I get goosebumps e.v.e.r.y.t.i.m.e. I listen to it, without fail. Every time.

But I'm going to leave you today with Copland's "The Promise of Living". The build up to the 5:01 minute mark is just incredible. Even the title, "The Promise of Living" puts a lump in my throat. I would be very surprised if this music doesn't touch you in some way. It makes me thankful.


So here's to a thankful day, my friends.

4 comments:

  1. Alicia, my dad had an eclectic taste in music though not so much on the classical side. So, as a young girl (under 5) I knew the words to Harry Belafonte's Calypso album, the rhythms of Herb Albert & the Tijuana Brass, the entire Sound of Music soundtrack and could march around the house to the blasting sounds of the Scots Guards pipes & drums. :)
    Music is a wonderful way to raise children. Your girls are blessed.
    As I've said before....love your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, thanks Kim! I love that you grew up listening to all kinds of music. That's awesome! And music IS a wonderful way to raise children!! I often play Bach's "Sleepers Awake" at the breakfast table before the kids go to school. Music is food for the brain and is good for the soul. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this Alicia! I can't appreciate it like you can... I want to... I love music, but haven't listened to enough. If you keep adding some once in a while, I'm sure I'll grow to really love all kinds! Thanks again!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'd love to introduce you to my world of music! :D Trust me, I have lots and lots of favourites to draw from. ;)

    ReplyDelete