Thursday, November 1, 2012

Two Months Later...

Things are getting exciting, very exciting, at the little farmhouse at Gahre! On the outside of the house, you can't really tell that we've been working at it for 2 months. But things are about to change.



The windows are expected to arrive any day now. So the contractor is *hopefully* going to put up the scaffolding today! I suppose scaffolding isn't the most exciting thing, generally speaking. But for us, it's a big step in the right direction to making the outside of our house beautiful. Because it sure isn't looking great right now. The poor thing is stripped down to it's underwear, gutted out, and it's actually COLDER in the house than it is outside. It looks shabbier than when we started.

When the scaffolding goes up, then we'll be able to start ripping off the siding and windows, one wall at a time. I'm praying for good weather!!! We'll have to put tarpaulins on the wall to keep the weather out. So as long as the windows come within the next few days, we'll begin ripping down this weekend and the carpenters will come next week. I've seriously been looking forward to this like Christmas. And if you know me, you know how much I look forward to Christmas! So that's really saying something.

We still haven't gotten our approval from the county about the new addition, although we're expecting it any day now. Which means the excavator guy can't start his work, which means we can't start our work on getting the basement foundation ready for the addition, which means that the carpenters can't start the building. *sigh* Come on already!!

So this week, while we've been (im)patiently waiting, Sindre finished smashing up the current basement floor (YAY!!!) and has just started taking out some of the old wiring so he can put in the new. We also bought our central vacuum system.






And I've been painting. In my nice cozy, WARM house that I live in now. Remember last spring when I was all gungho about redoing my entry?? And I was going to paint my stairs and do all kinds of changes?? Well, that all changed when we bought the farmhouse but I had already started painting the staircase. Kinda can't stop in the middle of that. So I'm finally just about finished.

Here it is before:


And after:




The entry is currently my "workshop" where I'm doing all my painting. It's toooo cold at the farmhouse. Here we are after the first coat on the sideboard.



And just because they are such cuties, here's Madelen and Rebecca playing in the leaves at the farmhouse.






9 comments:

  1. Update:
    The approval from the county has gone through. And we're good to go! :)

    Sindre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wohoooooo!!!!!!! Let's get this show on the road!

      Delete
  2. Oh yay! So glad you are good to go! Can't wait to see the changes that will be immediately gratifying, I'm sure!
    I love the finished staircase in your current house (the warm, cozy one, hehe).
    Awww...and aren't Madelen and Rebecca such cutie pies!
    Oh, and the sideboard, is it a blue/gray color? I think I'm going to love that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sideboard is white...wasn't quite brave enough for a colour yet. I put the 2nd coat on today.

      Delete
  3. How great that you are approved!! Bring on the excavators! I truly love your basement and can't wait to see it start to become what it will be. Enjoying going along for the ride. :)
    The girls are beautiful. Joyful faces. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of excavators...Stephen knows how to operate one and I would need to go with him to be his co-ordinator...wishful dreaming!!

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete