Friday, October 5, 2012

Electrically Charged

We've had fall break from school this week. So I've had a busy week with all my little girlies at home. But Wednesday was an extra fun day. Because we made our first big purchase for the house!! We went to the city about noon that day and we only had the two youngest with us. Our first stop was where we made our big purchase. It may not sound like the most exciting thing but we're now the proud owners of pretty much everything we need to install the electrics in our house. From cables, to light switches, to, well, a bunch of other stuff that I really don't have a clue what is. We're very lucky that Sindre is able to do the electrical work himself so we'll save on not having to hire an electrician. And there was a big campaign sale where we bought everything. So we were very happy with our savings.

I had been dreaming about gorgeous, historically styled, porcelain light switches. Like this beauty:


*Sigh* Pretty, isn't it. Alas, that was not in the budget so we've got regular old light switches. Ok, so I'm slightly disappointed but saving money here will allow us to spend a little more elsewhere. For example, these  Norwegian historical tiles for our entry:




I love these!!! But they're e.x.p.e.n.s.i.v.e. We'll see. I've got my fingers and toes crossed.

We spent the rest of the day looking around for ideas and prices for other things that we want/wish for our new (old) house. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one of these:



And, of course, a trip to the city is not complete without a trip to Ikea. We're keeping all our furniture from our house now but we've decided to get new couches for the living room. Our corner sofa will be going down into the basement for our TV corner (whenever that gets finished). And our other couches are black leather. I just can not move two black leather couches into an old fashioned country farmhouse. They will just not fit in. So it was either cover them or get new. I'm kinda falling for these:



All in all, it was a great day! We had so much fun window shopping and the girls were so good! Their prize was going to the children's play area at Ikea where they had facepainting. You get free childcare for an hour. They had a blast playing and we got to "roam free" for an hour. Win-win situation.

Oh, and one more thing. We got our estimate from the contractor. Our first real number about what all this is going to cost us. We had a number in mind. I was hoping and praying for that particular number. And you know what???? That's the number we got. God is good!!

7 comments:

  1. I was looking at the same style couch here at our Ikea for my new house too! I also liked the Hoveby Lilac cover they had available, but wasn't sure what the colour would end up like in real life compared to the computer screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen it in real life and it's nice. If my memory serves me right it's a little more burgandy than the purple that shows up on my computer screen. It is lovely though!

      Delete
  2. LOVE the light switch! I know you said that was not in the budget but they are so nice I had to comment. I've never seen one like that. I'm not helping, am I? :)
    Tile, tub & couch are all so nice. I can't wait to see your plans all start to take shape.
    Oh, and congrats on the electrical supplies! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! Those light switches are so pretty. *sigh* But I guess now I've got more to spend on other things. Like those tiles. And door handles.

      Delete
  3. Sounds and looks like you are in a big undertaking
    may God go before you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo, ooooh! I love the light switches too... You could get Sindre to buy you one each birthday or something, and VERY slowly replace each of the plain ones??? Just a suggestion. Hehe! And I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you too about the beautiful Norwegian historical tiles. I love the bathtub and couch too. So glad prices are working out also...God IS good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm still a little sad about the switches. Such is life! Maybe we can switch them out after a bit like you suggest. But it's fun that others like them too!! I think they're awesome!

      Delete