Thursday, August 23, 2012

Moving Forward

Ok. Here it is. My first blog post about my new house. Eeeeeee! I'm kinda excited! I wish I could bottle this current excitement and open it, like, 6 months from now, when we're probably overworked and tired and desperate to be finished. But, right now, excitement abounds!

Ok, we don't actually OWN the house yet. The big day is next Friday, 31st of August. But, even though we don't officially own it yet, it hasn't stopped us from moving forward and making our plans. This week has been toooootally crazy. I can't even begin to tell you all the details, phone calls, and big changes that have yet to be revealed. Hehe!

Our first little road block was getting insurance on the house. Apparently, they think it's old and risky. They don't wanna do it. Wimps! This is where it's really, really awesome to have a great bank guy. I'll probably say this over and over, but I love our bank guy!! He's great. Anyway, he talked to someone he knew and we were able to get some decent insurance on the house for a decent price. Good.

And we talked to our bank guy about money and it turns out we're going to do ok paying for two houses for a little while. We were afraid we'd be scrounging in the forest for food, but it looks like we can go to the grocery store... like normal people. YAY!

And we've been spending hours and hours making up drawings of the house and the new add-on we're putting on the back. We've explored every possible angle, crook and cranny, measured walls and spaces, to come up with the best possible layout. What really helped was taking a little walk over to another house here in Spangereid. It's the exact replica of ours only it's been fixed up and built on to the back. They were very kind to let us in when we showed up at their door and gave us a tour of the entire house. It was so inspiring to see how nice it could be! And we got tons of good ideas. So Sindre spent several nights drawing it all up on graph paper, so that we could give it to our architect guy to make blueprints for us.

So now comes the patience. Waiting for the blueprints. And then we have to send them to the county to be approved. Always a little nerve wracking because of it's status of "historical value". We're not changing the facade of the house, which I think is what they're most concerned about. So keeping fingers crossed.

In the meantime, I get to window shop. Well, through the window of my laptop. I've been poring over old fashioned wood stoves, paint colours, kitchen cabinets and even door knobs.

Like these:


And I absolutely LOVE this:






And pretty white kitchens:

  

Ahhhh! *happy sigh*

4 comments:

  1. Is it wrong to be almost as excited as you are? :) I can't wait to follow along on this adventure. I, too, love to "window shop". Your choices above are fabulous and I really love me an apron front farmhouse sink! :)
    Keep us posted as you go! I'll be anxiously awaiting each step along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Sounds like things are really moving along! I'm loving the blogs! I can't wait to see pics, and then reno pics! And like Kim, I love the kitchen pic here! It's good that you're so motivated... I'm sure you'll have plenty in reserve to get you through six months from now too :)
    What a great bank guy you have too! Are the blueprints for safety and regulations? Do you absolutely need blueprints to do renovations? Just curious...
    Well, keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're excited too Kim! Love me some apron front farmhouse sink too. *drool*
    Crystal, we need the blueprints to give to the county for approval. But mostly it's for the builders when they do our add-on on the back. We're having a contractor do all the outside work, remove siding, insulate, new windows and the new back section. We're doing all the inside work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow and it begins! So excited for you guys. Can't wait to see all the fantastic improvements ahead. We will be praying - declaring, that all will go smoothly with no major hiccups and a wonderful experience for the whole family. :) enjoy every moment of creating your desired haven, a gift from God. Looking forward to seeing the updates, and all the pictures!! :)

    ReplyDelete